MIDNIGHT MUSINGS
Home About Sponsor Contact Design Portfolio
May 8, 2014

Everyday by David Levithan | Book Review

Hello! Look who's catching up on her reading challenge! ME! I'm supposed to be in my 9th or 10th book now, but due to the activities in the past month, I just finished my 6th book. Not good, I know, but I'm catching up. :) And I think it's necessary to make a book review so I can share some insights on what I've read too! I'm going to start with my 6th book, Every Day by David Levithan.
***
Every day is the first book I've read from David Levithan. Well it's really the second book but it's the first book that I've completely read. I've seen it on the stack of bestsellers several times and even gave the plot a read. I wanted to buy it but it was somehow expensive. Classes were over at that time so I'm a bit broke (T_T) and thought I'd rather have pizza. 

But what really drove me towards reading it is because of a friend. He once asked me if I've read that book along with Flipped by Wendelin van Draanen (which was actually right next to Every Day at the bookstore), and I said no. It was sad because that would have ended the conversation, but thank goodness it didn't. So what I did a day after that conversation was to search for an available eBook, and there it was! Thank goodness for eBooks! Here's the link if you want to download a copy. Now right onto the review!



Synopsis from David Levithan.com 
Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl. 

There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere. It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day. 

My thoughts
A very compelling read! If I hadn't got the recommendation from my friend, I wouldn't have read it! A's story is unique and it gives this certain interesting twist to what love stories or young adult novels are commonly about. Every day, A wakes up inside a stranger's body. Sometimes he's fat, sometimes he's a gangster, sometimes he's a lost boy, sometimes he's normal. Sometimes he is a boy, sometimes a girl. Maybe I should just refer to A as A and not a he or a she. Yes, A has no gender. And A's name is just A, though later he writes in an email that his name is Andrew. But I can't help thinking and guessing that A is a boy because A fell in love with Rhiannon. The story has a Cinderella twist to it, wherein at the strike of midnight, everything is changed. Only, this happens to A on a daily basis and he does not know how to make it stop, how to stay in the same body for more than a day.  Cinderella gets her happy ending, but A probably does not.

I actually got into a realization that everyday we change. The difference is that we are souls who live in the same body, unlike A. Of course everyday for us might be normal and today being the same as yesterday. But if you look closely, not a single day is the same. We change maybe for the better or for the worst, but there will always be a single thing that will remain the same. As for A, that is her love for Rhiannon. Also, behind this story is a peek into a variety of lives of 16 year old teenagers (since A only inhabits bodies of souls his age and within a certain  proximity).

I kind of predicted how it will end. It's either A will learn the art of remaining in someone's body for more than a day, or A will eventually have to leave Rhiannon. I kinda guessed the latter but I did not expect the ending to be that way - it was heartbreaking. I think I should stop here since it would be unfair to divulge more info for those who havent read the book yet. ;)



The Verdict
 ★

Four stars because there are just some things that left me hanging. I wish there was a second book. :) See most (a lot actually) of my favorite quotes from the book under the cut! Watch out for the next review: FLIPPED by Wendelin van Draanen!

Favorite Quotes
After a while, you have to be at peace with the fact that you simply are. There is no way to know why. You can have theories, but there will never be proof.

We all want everything to be okay. We don’t even wish so much for fantastic or marvelous or outstanding. We will happily settle for okay, because most of the time, okay is enough.

Belonging - a closeness that isn’t merely physical. A connection that defies the fact that we’ve only just met. A sensation that can only come from the most euphoric of feelings.

What is it about the moment you fall in love? How can such a small measure of time contain such enormity?

The moment you fall in love feels like it has centuries behind it, generations—all of them rearranging
themselves so that this precise, remarkable intersection could happen. In your heart, in your bones, no matter how silly you know it is, you feel that everything has been leading to this, all the secret arrows were pointing here, the universe and time itself crafted this long ago, and you are just now realizing it, you are just now arriving at the place you were always meant to be.

I wake up thinking of yesterday. The joy is in remembering; the pain is in knowing it was yesterday.

It’s as if when you love someone, they become your reason. And maybe I’ve gotten it backward, maybe it’s just because I need a reason that I find myself falling in love with her.

The sound of words as they’re said is always different from the sound they make when they’re heard, because the speaker hears some of the sound from the inside. 

This is what love does: It makes you want to rewrite the world. It makes you want to choose the characters, build the scenery, guide the plot. 

And just like that, the universe goes wrong. Just like that, all the enormity seems to shrink into a ball and float away from my reach. I feel it, and she doesn’t. Or I feel it, and she won’t.

Most people know that their first love will not be their only love. But for me, she is both.

Linking up with Nicole for Treat Yo' Self Thursdays!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds really really really good...adding it to my list! Thank you! And like it was for you, I would never had read it without a recommendation from a friend :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mary, this book has a deep message. It's true that our body changes by time but honestly , our soul remains same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard awesome things about this book. Now after reading your review, I really want to read it even more. Ahhh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaaay! Tell me what you think about it after you've read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does Noor. :) Very wonderful! And with lovely characters too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you do! It's something thats out of the ordinary and easy to love! :)

    ReplyDelete