Hi everyone! For the continuation of the other day's post about Chapter 1 of Peale's book, here are the ten simple, workable rules (according to Peale) for overcoming inadequacy attitudes and learning to practice faith.
- Formulate and stamp indelibly on your mind a mental picture of yourself as succeeding. Hold this picture tenaciously. Never permit it to fade. Your mind will seek to develop this picture. Never think of yourself as failing; never doubt the reality of the mental image of success. The mind always tries to complete what it pictures. So always picture success no matter how badly things seem to be going at the moment.
- Whenever a negative thought concerning your personal powers comes to mind, deliberately voice a positive thought to cancel it out.
- Do not build up obstacles in your imagination. Depreciate every so-called obstacle. Minimize them. Difficulties must be studied and efficiently dealt with to be eliminated, but they must be seen for only what they are. They must not be inflated by fear thoughts.
- Do not be awestruck by other people and try to copy them. Nobody can be you as efficiently as YOU can. Remember that most people, despite their confident appearance and actions, are often as scared as you area and as doubtful of themselves.
- Ten times a day repeat these dynamic words: "If God be for us, who can be against us?" (Stop reading and repeat them NOW slowly and confidently.)
- Get a competent counselor to help you understand why you do what you do. Learn the origin of your inferiority and self-doubt feelings which often begin in childhood. Self-knowledge leads to a cure.
- Ten times each day, practice the following affirmation, repeating it loud if possible, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.: Repeat those words NOW. That magic statement is the most powerful antidote on earth t inferiority thoughts.
- Make a true estimate of your own ability, then raise it 10 percent. Do not become egotistical, but develop a wholesome self-respect. Believe in your own God-released powers.
- Put yourself in God's hands. To do that, simply state, "I am in God's hands." Then believe you are NOW receiving all the power you need. "Feel" it flowing into you. Affirm that the "kingdom of God is within you" (Luke 17:32) in the form of adequate power to meet life's demands.
- Remind yourself that God is with you and nothing can defeat you. Believe that you now RECEIVE power from him.
There you have it! All you have to do right now is follow them and you'll have that right confidence in yourself in no time!
Stay tuned for Chapter II: Power Comes From A Quiet Mind next week! :)
Have a wonderful day!